Sunday, October 28, 2007

Politically INcorrect

So, we left (okay, okay--I left) our camera at Mom's this weekend, so we will have no new pictures to post until the middle of next month when Polly brings it up here for us. So I've decided to dedicate my blog to some discussions on parenting! I am having an email discussion with a good friend about this topic and it dawned on me that I just don't get to talk to people about this often enough. So I'll be posting bits and pieces from our emails and other rambling thoughts and I'd love to hear from those of you who read and are interested! (either by posting here or by emailing me personally)

The conversation got started because one or the other of us mentioned the book "To Train Up A Child" by Micheal and Debbie Pearl. This book was our introduction to a new idea (to us at the time) in parenting --a positive and pre-emptive approach to training and discipline. My statement to this effect triggered a discussion first about the legitimacy of the Pearl's teaching in general and then about the advisability of spanking as a training tool for young children. We firmly believe in the loving use of the rod at a tender age as an excellent way to introduce to our children the idea that it is better to obey than to have one's own way.

So that's all I have time for tonight. My friend warned me that this is a sensitive topic and one that may initiate hot argument. But I am prepared! I eagerly invite all comments--not because I intend to shoot you out of the water with my brilliant counter-arguments, but because I really want to hear what you have to say. Especially if you disagree. :)

2 comments:

Kiddies in the Sun said...

Ok, I think I would die if I had to be without my camera for that long! AHHHHH! : )

Herb of Grace said...

Yeah, tell me about it! It's slowly killing me. I don't know what I'll do if he starts to crawl in the next three weeks!!! And it could happen, too. We've already missed the first week of sitting up on his own....