Thursday, November 12, 2009

In the nurture and admonition of the Lord

Soo, we:

1) Read the bible
2)Pray
3) Worship
4) Deliberately Indoctrinate

I'm concerned that writing a post with four bullet points might make this whole thing seem a lot more complicated than I think it really is, so I want to start out by pointing out to you all the things you teach your children on a daily basis without really thinking too hard about it.

Let's take Judah, for example, a normal two-year-old (although slightly cuter than average...). So far J and I (with Sofi's help) have taught him to eat, sleep, walk, talk, laugh, smile, reason, argue, whine, color, count to ten, the names of around fifty different people, the first Catechism question, the beginning of the Lord's Prayer, and a few basic principles of manhood such as; don't hit girls, protect the women, fight BAD guys, not good guys, etc.

Most of you with kids that age or older have taught them most of the things in that list. You may not have though about it that way before. I mean, who thinks of themselves as teaching their children to smile, right? But the truth is, children are little learning machines, they are learning constantly and what they're learning is whatever you're teaching and the way you're teaching is by your every interaction with them. Scary, huh?

Notice I mentioned that we "taught" Judah to whine and argue? Those of you who read my blog on a regular basis know that I whine. I do it in a more socially acceptable manner than Judah does (he's too young for a blog), but it's definitely one of my character flaws. Ask any one in my family. They'd be glad to tell you. And I'm certain that both my children learned how to whine from me. Sad, but true. I'm telling you, you might not like the idea, but you are teaching your children SOMETHING every minute of the day. It's just the way God made them.

So my point is, teaching your children Godly ways and training them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord is merely a matter of deliberately creating around them an environment that is saturated with the Grace of God. A daily schedule that pulls them into the presence of God first thing in the morning. A habit in your conversation of bringing up the Lord at every opportunity and of explaining why you do things the way you do.

"Judah, you may not hit Sofi. You must be kind to your sister. God says "Love your Sister". That was not a loving thing to do."

There. A seed planted.

Now on to how we do that-- on a practical level.

2 comments:

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Such wise insight! Keep it coming. I'm thoroughly enjoying your posts on child training and how you and Jeremiah fell in love! How sweet!

septembermom said...

Good advice! I will try some of your ideas. I have a lot of wise cracking kids pushing my buttons these days. I like your approach during my "negotiations" or "confrontations" with the kids. I need to plant some seeds.