Thursday, February 28, 2013

Yummy Gluten-free "Pancakes", Or How I Get My Children To Eat Squash For Breakfast

I know I've been a little heavy on the recipe posts lately, but I'm just so excited about the way our diet has changed since the first of the New Year that I can't help myself! Every time I find a new way to cook veggies that my kiddoes will EAT, I just have to TELL someone!

My latest concoction is based on a 21 Day Sugar Detox staple-- the banana pancake. It's called a pancake because the banana makes it sweet-ish, but it's really more of an omelet. It relies on the egg to give it some texture and bulk.


 photo IMG_8615_zps4b128628.jpg

It's super fast-- way faster than regular pancakes-- and I can simply add ingredients to the bowl in approximate amounts as I begin to run out of batter (if I need more). And here's Judah's endorsement of the recipe!! Have you EVER seen such an enthusiastic grin on the face of a kid eating BUTTERNUT SQUASH before???

 photo IMG_8614_zpsaeb41b1e.jpg


Ingredients:

Cooked butternut squash or pumpkin (I roast mine in the oven, cut in half, flesh side down in about 1.2 inch of water, at 350 till soft)
bananas
eggs
cinnamon
nutmeg
ginger
cloves

In a ratio of 1:1:2 (so, equal amounts of banana and squash, with two eggs per banana) mash up the veg and fruit together and add eggs. Season to taste. Mix vigorously, pan fry in butter till brown.

NOTE: The lower the heat you use and the longer you cook it, the more pancake-like a texture you'll get. A hot pan and a quick browning gives you something puffy and light-- more like an omelet, but it will fall fast. I top with home-made whipped cream and strawberries.

YUMMY!

No comments: