APPLE & SAUSAGE STUFFED ACORN SQUASH
2 acorn squash halved and seeded 1 tablespoon butter, melted 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1 lb pork sausage (regular seasoning) 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped 1 rib celery, finely chopped 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped 2 apples, cored and chopped (macintosh) 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon sage
salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine the melted butter, garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoons sage; brush over cut sides and cavity of squash. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in a large roasting pan, cut side up, at 400 degrees F for 1 hour, until squash is tender yet still holds its shape.
- Meanwhile make stuffing: Fry pork sausage until light brown. Remove pork to a colander to drain. Drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings from frypan. Add onion, celery and mushroom; saute 4 minutes. Stir in apple and saute 2 more minutes.
- Combine the pork, vegetables, and breadcrumbs in a large bowl.
- Taste and season with sage, salt or pepper if needed (depending on your sausage you may not want to add more seasoning).
- Stir in the egg and parsley.
- Fill the squash halves with stuffing-they should be slightly mounded.
- Return to oven and bake, covered, for 20 more minutes, until the egg is set.
- Garnish as desired with parsley and shredded romano cheese.