Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summertime

Well, here we are at the end of the summer. Well, the end for us, since school starts for Jeremiah again in three weeks. It's a tough time in our household. J ends his summer job this week and we won't get his first RCS paycheck till the end of September. So basically no money comes in for about a month and a half-- close to two months. It's tight, people-- spandex tight. 

And it gives me pause to consider the rest of the year and our usual financial security. I am here to say that J is an amazing Provider for his family. Not just in the sense that he provides oodles of boodle ('cause, really, you know us-- it's not really what I would call "oodles", per say), but he really has a knack for making every dime stretch to it's limit. The man can practically legislate money out of thin air. I say "legislate" because I think that his genius originates in his ability to manage money, rather than necessarily make lots of it (although I think, given a chance, he could also rake it in). He is an excellent Steward of what God has given us. 

I've been reading a lot of blogs lately where the authors are talking about ways to save money and skinny-up a budget by "going without". I won't go into too much personal detail (this is the internets, after all), but we are able to afford many of the little luxuries that many in the current economy are having to learn to do without, because of the way that J obsesses over the little details and minute categories of our weekly budget.

Now, lest I give the impression that I am married to an Ebeneezer Scrooge, let me also recount this recent conversation (while Sue and Ben were here):


Me: Sweetie, can I please, please have some money to go shopping?

J (controlled shock): What for??

Me: I just really, really need a new pair of jeans and then there's this really cool purse that I saw on sale and I totally don't need it but it's pretty and I want it...

J: Could you make do with $XX?

Y.E.S.

Seriously, ladies, who wouldn't die for a man like that? I ask you...

1 comment:

Denise said...

Awww... I loved the story you ended this post with. Definitely a man who wants to bless you and it's a Scrooge, and yet carefully stewards what he's made!

I think that being a good steward of the money we make is a FAR more honorable trait than a person who just makes a lot of money and doesn't have to watch it as much. Stewardship takes time, thought, diligence, and most importantly, self-discipline. I bet he tells himself "no" for little splurges he wants, so that he can in turn bless the family with family splurges. I know I have seen my father walk that, specifically when I was 7,8,9 yrs old & he was in school for his masters full time, on a loan from his dad, we had 2 house payments, and no income to speak of. He tells us now he had to "budget" for taking us for ice cream (we'd all get on our bikes and ride up to the local yogurt place). We didn't feel it, because he was carefully working it in the background.

I love watching husbands/fathers so this, take care of their family with excellence. Because to me, it's a glorious thing to see, it's a godly quality.

Thanks for sharing Lisi!!!

My best money-saving tip is have a deer in your freezer. *grins*