Thursday, February 25, 2010

Apples of gold in settings of silver

Next to the Faith chapter of Hebrews, I think the book of James, in particular the first chapter, is my favorite place in the Scripture. I often turn to James at the end of another study or book, kind of like a refresher before moving on the something new. And every time I read it, there's some precise application to whatever issues I'm facing.

This time around finances are stressing us out. And here's what I found:

James 1:2-4: Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have it's perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

1:9-11: But the brother of humble circumstances is to glory in his high position; and the rich man is to glory in his humiliation, because like flowering grass her will pass away. For the sun rises with a scorching wind and withers the grass; and its flower falls off and the beauty of its appearance if destroyed; so too the rich man in the midst of his pursuits will fade away.


I'm also struggling with some parenting issues, trying to find the balance between teacher and mom, discipline and grace, freedom and the law:

1:5: But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to you.


And I was also strengthened in my commitment to my daily time with the Lord. To let nothing keep me from His presence, first thing in the morning:

1:24 But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.


Thank you, Lord for your Word! It is indeed a lamp for my feet.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I, too, find a lot of wisdom and comfort in James. When I come back to it after a long while I always wonder what kept me away...

Thanks for sharing!

septembermom said...

Thank you for these inspiring passages. I appreciate your taking the time to provide these quotes for us. They really helped me.

Debbie said...

I certainly do a lot of praying for wisdom and grace in parenting!