Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mothers and Daughters

I had all these profound thoughts the other day about having a daughter and then I never got a chance to blog that day. So let's see if I can remember some of what was going through my head at the time..................

Sofi made the salad for dinner all by herself so I could bathe Judah. (Okay, she got a little help from Daddy, but mostly by herself) It got me thinking about daughters and mothers. She was so eager to help, so good-natured about it--and so competent! At only five (almost) she's quite capable of providing real help to me. And not just physical labor, she's such a great companion, too. We laugh and joke, have serious conversations about life and tell stories to each other every day. I'm thinking ahead to the friends I have that are expecting daughters in the near future(Laura) or have recently given birth (Susi, Kendra) and I'm so excited for them! What a joy it is to have a daughter :) Now, I'm the last person to confer sainthood upon either of my children--I live with them and they both definitely have sin natures. And I'll be the first to admit a need for regular adult conversation and interaction. But Sofi has a quality about her that is truly precious to me. It reminds me a little of Jeremiah (very endearing), but is also just "Sofi". She is sweet, funny, curious, smart and she has this capable nature. If I take the time to teach her, she can do just about anything. Even if it's not perfect, she'll give it a good try. Reminds me of a speaker on education we heard recently who says this about children; "If they don't know, they'll have a go". There's something important there that is missing in your average adult. That eagerness and excitement at each opportunity to experience something---anything! I want to be so careful not to crush that eagerness in her. It's hard some days to match it with an eagerness and openness on my own part. Busyness takes the fun out of the chores for both of us. Busyness on my part quickly leads to bad attitudes on hers and crossness in me. But if I take the time to smile and laugh, tickle a little, tell a story, PLAY, then the day goes so smoothly. Lord, why is it so hard sometimes? It's not about what I do, accomplish, it's about who I am-- in Christ, modeling Him to my children. Remind me every day that it's the process, not the product that matters; that the only justification for my existence today need be that today I was a mother.

Now, I'm new to the whole "son" thing, so give me a year or two and I'll have more to say on that subject.


















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want a little girl!!! :) Sofi is indeed a particularly special one--I am privileged to be her aunt (and her mother's sister).