Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My Way Better Than Oatmeal Recipe

I really hate oatmeal. Really. Hate. Oatmeal. So does J. In fact, we just pretty much didn't eat it ever until we had kids. But then, oatmeal just seems like one of those things you feed kids. Like pbjs. What kind of parent lets their kids grow up without pbj or oatmeal? I ask you.

So I began to fix oatmeal. And found it wasn't quite as bad as I had remembered, but still not my favorite. J still hated it. Then enter my mother, with all the new research on soaking your grains to get better nutrition and all that. So I started soaking my oatmeal over night. Definitely made it taste better. And then. Last week. My sister revealed to me a whole new world of oatmeal. An Oatmeal Nirvana, if you will. Oatmeal from Heaven. Here is that recipe--complete with some minor changes to make it my own:


Way Better than Oatmeal

Soak oatmeal overnight in enough liquid to cover. You can use 1) water with a tablespoon of vinegar, 2) whey, 3) yogurt, or 4) kefir (my personal favorite).

In the morning, heat up about 1/4 stick of butter in a large frying pan (cast iron works great) till sizzling. Add sloppy, soaked oatmeal. Smoosh it up around the pan till the bottom of the pan is covered and sprinkle with salt. Stir and flip occasionally, adding more butter when needed, until the oatmeal is cooked into small, crispy chunks. Basically, you want to treat it like scrambled eggs.

Serve hot, plain or with a trickle of maple syrup.

You will never think about oatmeal the same way again!

9 comments:

Jordana said...

That sounds yummy. Of course, I like oatmeal about any which way. Maybe I'll have to try that for breakfast tomorrow. Guess I need to go soak some oats.

Gramoni said...

I've been meaning to try Susi's variation on the oatmeal recipe, but haven't figured out yet whether the crispy frying is adviseable. Do you know if it is? If my memory is right I was originally corrected for over-frying mine.--Mom

septembermom said...

Now I also hate oatmeal. You're making me wonder if this recipe may make a believer out of me :)

Niecey said...

Sounds interesting. We love oatmeal around here. I make it in the crockpot overnight, it's so creamy. Scottish style or Irish style works best. I add cream to it in the morning, and salt, sugar and a teeny bit of cinnamon. Mmmmm.

I should try your recipe though, it sounds good. But I am Scottish and I do like my porridge made traditionally.

Jenny said...

Kefir....eeeewwwwwww...that's all I can say.

lislynn said...

Ah, but Jenny! It's so good for you! And it's not bad tasting, really. Especially when you cook with it. In the oatmeal it gives it just a bit of a tang. Very sweet-sour--PennDutch. I bed you'd like it :)

Mom, I'm not sure about the frying. What did you hear that was bad about that? I haven't read anything about it.

I'd love to hear from any of you that try it and like it :)

Hosanna said...

All of it sounds gross to me, to tell you the 100% truth. But then, I despise ALL breakfast foods except cinnamon buns and danishes.
To me oats = horse feed. Cooked oats= horse mash.
I DO, however, love to make my own personal recipe of homemade granola with all kinds of healthy stuff, and hunny. :)

Denise said...

Ah Susi suckered you in with this as well!!! She introduced me to that as well. Only when I came home I had Rye Oats on hand and love their nuttiness even better. When we were there, Susi was pouring marionberry syrup on them, and I occasionally use huckleberry syrup. The possibilities are endless!

Rebecca said...

Wow. You just made me realize how weird I am: I like oatmeal raw, actually. With golden raisins, preferrably.