Monday, January 18, 2010

Thank you!

Boy, I got so many great ideas from y'all last week when I asked for new recipes! If you haven't taken the time to look through the comments on that post, you totally should! You might get some new ideas yourself :)

In addition several people were kind enough to email me some suggestions and I wanted to post them as well.

Here's a Chicken Curry Recipe from Hosanna:

This is not a real complicated curry, and I used the crock pot to do it. It was pretty tasty; but not as spicy as I like. So I am going to be trying another recipe that is far and away more complicated; with the ginger root and the lemon grass and all. But this is cool for busy weekdays. I halved it for just the 2 of us, though.

1 chicken, cut up; or equal poundage or things, breasts, or leg quarters. ( About 2 -3 lbs)
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp. chopped garlic (I get it in a jar. I'm a cheater.)
1 tsp. peprika
3 Tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp. sugar
1Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. red pepper

In a skillet, fry onion in a little olive oil until just browned. Keep stirring over med. heat. Add cinnamon and bay leaves. Add all other spices except lemon juice and red pepper. Add tomato paste. Place in crock pot. Add chicken pieces and add just enough water to barely cover the chicken. Cook on High until done. (4-6 hrs.) Before serving, add the lemon juice and red pepper.
Serve over hot brown rice. (Or white. I use brown though)

If you don't want to go the crock pot route, do this in a dutch oven, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is done; an hour or so.

And she sent me an idea for making my own sour cream!

Make sour cream: 1 cup buttermilk, 2 cups heavy cream: mix together, leave sit at room temp. for 12-24 hrs

Here's a fish recipe from Laurie-- a taste combo I can't wait to try, since I'm stuck in a rut of always using citrus when I cook fish...

The recipe is for Broiled Tilapia Parmesan but you could really make it with any kind of mild white fish, like flounder, or something else.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broiled-Tilapia-Parmesan/Detail.aspx

My recommendations: I don't pay any attention to the amount of poundage of fish I am buying, I just buy one large fillet for Matt a smaller one for me and the smallest I can see for Joey. I make the topping exactly as the instructions say for whatever amount of fish I buy and then if I have extra to spread on, it just tastes richer! (If I were going to serve more than about 4 people, I'd probably double the ingredients, but just for us I always make it the same!) Also once you actually have the topping on, they should only broil a few minutes and watch closely! The cheese on top makes it more prone to over-browning/burning.


And a new chicken one that makes my mouth water!

This is super easy too, it is Feta Chicken. mmmmm!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Feta-Chicken/Detail.aspx

My recommendations: I read many of the comments and the best combination seems to be: Use garlic and herb feta instead of tomato basil. Also cut up a small amount of sun-dried tomatoes (in oil, that's usually how they come) and add a few leaves of real basil. This is so easy.....crumble up garlic and herb feta, add a few sliced up sun-dreied tomatoes and a few leaves of fresh basil and then cover in the bread crumbs and bake. Sometimes I drizzle some of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes over the finished crumb-coated chicken pieces before they bake, it helps to soften up the bread crumbs. You could also melt some butter and drizzle that on top. It's a very easy recipe but usually needs to cook for longer than recommended. I don't think I've ever been able to cook it in under an hour. If you want to save time, you don't even have to pound out your chicken breasts, sometimes, if I have really thick ones, I just cut them most of the way through and then stuff the inside and close them up with toothpicks. You can stick in as many toothpicks as you need (just remember to pull them out!) the entire time they bake. I can't do it without at least 3 toothpicks per piece of chicken....
Laurie also recommended this Chicken Pastina recipe from the Food Network:

Italian Baked Chicken and Pastina

And then, all by my lonesome self, I found this jewel!

Penne With Vodka, on Recipezaar


I predict it will be a new family favorite-- even J loved it and had LEFTOVERS-- TWO SERVINGS-- for lunch the next day. Can anybody say "Winner"???

Thank you all so much for sharing! I'll be sure to post once I try each of the suggestions and don't forget to go check out the comments to see all the other good ideas :)

3 comments:

septembermom said...

All of these sound good! I wish I had a good recipe to add to the mix. I do rely on Food Network for my inspiration.

Jenny said...

I forgot to mention the Chicken Alfredo-- it's SUPER easy and only a few ingredients and always a winner. I've even been using it to take places as I can make the noodles and chicken ahead of time and then make the sauce quick just before I need to leave and throw it on top of the re-warmed chick/noodles. I love 4 ingredient recipes that taste decadent!

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

MMMmmmm. You have my mouth watering for supper and it's only 8:30am. I've been meaning to see what all recipes were added because I've wanted some suggestions, too! Thanks!