Sunday, May 31, 2009

The little whipersnapper ratted me out!

Today was a baby shower for a friend from church. It's also the weekend in which I have my final two recitals of the year. Church went from 10:30 to 12. Recital at 12:45, shower at 2. Tight schedule, indeed. Needless to say I did not finish the cute little outfit that I had planned to make for the darling baby boy. Typical. It's still sitting in my cupboard. I will eventually finish it. Hopefully before he's born. Realistically, possibly not before he grows out of that size. (as a side note, in case this does happen, i wonder if she'd consider having baby number four just so he could wear the outfit? probably not)

However, I saved myself the embarrassment of showing up to the shower without a gift by swinging home after the recital (west side of town) before heading out (twenty minutes late--the main violinist didn't show up on time) to the shower (east side of town) to pick up the extra toy tractor which I had called on my way to ask J to wrap for me. It was an extra tractor because we bought it just in case Mom and Dad weren't able to find one for Judah for his Birthday. They did, after all. Hence the extra tractor. I knew it would come in handy.

My cleverness blew up in my face as C unwrapped the gift and Sofi interrupted her ooos and aaahs with...

"It was supposed to be for Judah's birthday, but then he already had one, so this one got left over."

*general delighted laughter*

People love it when this sort of thing happens to Other People.

*sigh*

Ah well. All my pretensions to Proper Southern Party Etiquette have now gone up in smoke. But I do want you all to know that I own a a deviled egg plate. And I use it. Occasionally.



3 comments:

Matt and Laurie Beardsley said...

Mmm! I love deviled eggs!! :-)

Hosanna said...

Classic. That's the kind of thing that happens in movies.
You know, I didn't own a deviled egg plate when we got married? I always used mom's.
I got one at Christmas time - from Kevin's mother. In MICHIGAN. Who doesn't have a southern bone in her body.
Something is wrong with this picture.......

lislynn said...

yes, indeed, m' dear. How in the world did I not realize that you needed a deviled egg plate as a wedding gift?! That one slipped right by me. Ironic, considering that you were the one who gave me mine :)