Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Yummy Summer Veggies

Two of my favorite vegetable recipes, to contribute to Robin's request for suggestions!

Jessie's Grilled Summer Squash

(I got this recipe from my friend and tweaked it a bit to suit my tastes)

Yellow squash or zuchinni, cut in 4 inch wedges
Basalmic vinegar (I've used other types when I'm out of Basalmic)
Dill
Salt
Olive oil

Put the squash wedges in a large bowl. Add vinegar to cover. Drizzle in about 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add salt and dill to taste. Marinate for 15 to 20 minutes. Cook on hot grill until tender-crisp, about 5-8 minutes. Sofi calls this "squash pickles". It's the only way my squash-hating husband will eat it!




Greens with Bacon

(My mother always cooks her greens this way and my family loves them, too!)

Fresh greens (kale, collards, mustard, beet or turnip-- to name some possibilities)
Bacon
Vinegar
Salt

Wash and slice enough greens to feed your crowd. Fry up bacon-- one slice per person. Remove bacon to drain. Add greens to the hot bacon drippings (watch out! they'll spit!). Cook until wilted-- about 5 to 10 minutes. Crumble bacon slices into the pan. Drizzle vinegar over each servings and salt well.

No comments: